As some will know, my day job is working for LEGO, I’ve have various jobs over the years, from working on the web team, to working as a digital planner, ambassador and then finally working on official sets. My current role is working on large scale display models you see at shows around the world. As part of my new blog I will showcase both past and current work.
I’m currently re-building the LEGO Winter Village sets for a Christmas display for a client. I worked on the earlier sets up to 2014. The newer ones have been done my others. I decided to build one of my personal favorites first from 2012 the Winter Village Cottage. This retailed for £90 and was the largest of the theme at that time with 1,490 pieces. My personal highlights are the fireplace and the snowplow. There is a lot of rare elements included in the set and was one of the first to include the 1×2 masonry brick. I remember when it came out some fans didn’t like the scale compared to the earlier models but I think sometimes you need to just show different aspects of a village to keep the theme interesting. Especially as we already knew what was in the pipeline for 2013 and 2014.
So below is the official set description and photos. These days you’d need to hit the second hand market to obtain one.
Get cosy in the Winter Village Cottage!
Continuing the winter series, build the Winter Village Cottage for a perfect holiday home. Seat Grandpa snugly by the fireplace with his newspaper as you help Dad to put up the tree, then bake a feast in the kitchen with Mom! When it’s time to stock up the storage shed with firewood, bring the kids for a ride with Dad on the sledge watch him cut the wood with his chainsaw deep in the forest. When the snow gets really deep, clear the road with the snowplough, take all of the kids skiing or build an igloo to play in. There’s no cosier place to spend long, frosty nights!
- Includes 8 minifigures: mum, dad, grandma, grandpa, 3 children and snowplough driver with assorted accessories
- Features cottage, storage shed, igloo, streetlamp, sled and snowplough
- Accessories include kitten, owl, fireplace with LEGO® light brick function, chandelier, Christmas tree, wreath, gifts, armchair, kitchen appliances and bed
- Storage shed features tools and firewood elements
- Igloo features fireplace and removable roof
- Rare elements and colours included
- Detach the snowplough to store it in the back of the truck!
- Make the fireplace glow with the LEGO light brick!
- Decorate the cottage!
- Fetch firewood with the sledge!
- Drive the snowplough!
- Cottage measures 6.7” (17cm) high, 9.8” (25cm) wide and 5.5” (14cm) deep
- Storage shed measures 4.3” (11cm) high, 2.7” (7cm) wide and 2.7” (7cm) deep
- Igloo measures 2.7” (7cm) high, 2.7” (7cm) wide and 2.7” (7cm) deep
- Snowplough measures 2.7” (7cm) high, 7” (18cm) long (with plow attached) and 2.3” (6cm) wide