Training Diary wk #8

More hospital trips & the beast returns

I keep writing this but apologies for the delay in my weekly training diary. I’ve still a bit of catching up to do. As a family we are still trying to get to find our new normal. For example this week Molly has been doing half days back at school but one of us has to stay with her as she needs 24/7 supervision due to the amount of seizures and blackouts she’s having. At moment blogging is done as and when I’ve got some free time.

Week 8 was very similar to the previous week in that training was done as and when I could due to numerous trips back and forward to the children’s. The week again started with us back there, as Molly’s condition meant she was now having blackouts and we were still none the wiser to finding out her condition. The doctors were scratching her heads but again they released her that evening, again it would turn out to be another miss-diagnosis, much to Sarah and mines frustration.

Tuesday Molly was at home and it meant I had some time to go out on to the TPT to do some mile reps. I chucked in a good warm up and cool down. Then set about getting in a good session. I ran 5 miles along the TPT and back to Deepcar. Clocking 5:53, 5:47, 5:45, 5:53 and 5:39. It was probably my best speed session this year. It felt controlled. Was a good confidence boost.

I even managed to get out again that evening for an easy 3 miles to bring me up to 10 miles today. For some reason, always feels good to hit 10 miles in the day, be it in one run or over 2 sessions. I didn’t expect to run as quick but as I’ve said I run these runs to feel and effort.

Wednesday, the lack of sleep and worry started to catch up with me. I got out for 6 miles and first mile felt hard so just got it done but then as the route took me down from Bolsterstone to Midhope, I soon found another gear and flew down hill. Looking back this helped me last night attack the downhills in the race. I then settled into my normal steady pace as I ran back along the main road.

Thursday was a major day. Molly was getting more attacks and I had had enough. I did 3 miles while she slept then took her back to the Children’s. She would then end up there till Monday. I’m glad I took her back, as soon as she entered A & E she had a bad attack that resulted in the crash team running in. After the staff got her condition stable, she was admitted to the wards. Thankfully the senior consultant that day was a neurologist and knew something was more serious then the previous doctors had diagnosed.

After being admitted to the ward, she had more tests done but they decided to keep her there till they could get to the bottom of what was wrong. I managed a window of opportunity to grab a second run while her mum sat with her. I opted to stay overnight as with my wife’s job she couldn’t afford to close. I ran out of the hospital and out towards Walkley, I didn’t realise it was as hilly as it was! but as I was worried, angry and scared I took it out on my run.

I didn’t run on the Friday, as all day was spent with Molly, we had to record her attacks. we started recording at 6am and continued till 11pm at night. She ended up having 252 attacks that day! It was horrendous to see. She did get a visit from her teacher that evening which perked her up. Friday night her mum stayed and I went home. I opted to run in the following morning. Plan was to do that both Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday I woke up to a bit of snow on the ground and it in the air. So I got the gear on and made sure I was warm etc. Put what I needed in my bag and set off towards the hospital. I realised half way I had forgotten a jacket. However, I continued and managed to get into a decent rhythm, I saw Jodie coming the other way and was on for a sub 60 minute 9 mile run. However, that final mile was all up hill and boy did it hurt and I managed to scrape under 60 minutes with 59:59.

My plans to run home and run back the next day ended when the snow came back with a passion and we ended up snowed it. It meant I had to also stay at the hospital, I didn’t mind as we were together as a family. During the afternoon we finally found out Molly had something called non epileptic attack disorder. Non epileptic attacks look like epileptic seizures but are not caused by electrical activity in the brain. As with epileptic seizures, non epileptic events vary from person to person. Most commonly, the attack will mirror a tonic-clonic seizure with obvious convulsion like movements of the arms, legs, head and body. This may be down one side of the body only or involve the whole body or may affect just one part of the body such as an arm or a leg. The person suffering the attack does not usually lose conciousness but may be unable to respond or react during the attack. Some people have an ‘aura’, a strange feeling, that acts as a warning the attack is about to happen which enables them to make sure they are safe.

Unfortunately, because the disorder is little understood, many health professionals may not know about it and patients may have a difficult time getting a proper diagnosis and the correct treatment. At the moment it’s a case of time and hoping the attacks stop. They are hopefully Molly’s attacks will stop or she might even grow out of them but now we are just trying to keep life as normal as possible.

So while running has taken a back burner, the support the family and I have received from running friends across the country has been massively appreciated. If you do see me at parkrun, or at a race please come and say hello so can thank you in person.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply